Monday, May 21, 2012

Askaris reporting for duty

The askari figures bought earlier this month are now based-up and ready for action...


The bases are my now-standard 1" fender washers, with the figures glued to them using jewelery glue. I find it useful to wipe the washers with surgical alcohol before doing anything to them, as it removes all grease and dirt from the metal. The basing material is a concoction of spackle, PVA adhesive and tea-leaves. It's light and strong, making it ideal for the purpose.

I think I have a couple of weeks free from now on, so with luck and a following wind, I'll be able to play out the Raid on the Tembe scenario. A slight modification to the scenario will be needed, as one of the encounter cards is for a tribe of pygmies on an elephant hunt. Lacking both pygmies and elephants, I think I'll skip this card altogether.

It'll be a semi-campaign setting, with casualties and survivors carried over to the next encounter until the tembe is taken - or not - at the end. I plan to use two British Barsetshire sections, the Indian army mountain gun, and the new askari section, with one Barsetshire section in reserve aboard the steamboat. The steamboat itself will be in the unarmed civilian mode.

3 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Plastic 1/72 or 15mm or 20mm Zulus would make reasonable "Pygmies" . . . and toy and dollar stores often have cheap plastic animals . . . you could probably find an elephant there . . . if you want.

I'm looking forward to your report, sir.


-- Jeff

Martin said...

Hi A.J.,

Stout looking fellows! Have you named their unit yet? I've always been rather fond of "Ubetyer Askaris". It will be interesting to see what you do with them.

Martin

A J said...

Jeff, good to see you back in circulation. I hope all's going well with your treatment. 20mm plastic Zulus sounds about on the money. I'll reserve that idea for another time.

Martin, thanks! I have named them the Ukraziland Rifles, but Ubetyer Askaris sounds good! =)

 

home page uniques