Friday, November 6, 2015

Thistle do for trees


So, I've finished a batch of one dozen N-scale trees for gaming, with another dozen in the preparation stage. The thistle head method is generally working, although dealing with spiky bits whilst trying to trim the bloody things down to a safe level is a trial. Attaching the flock with spray adhesive is also problematic. It's not as strong a bond as it could be, except when gluing fingers to any loose object in the vicinity; then it works just fine...

Anyway, one vital step is to remove all seeds from the head. This takes some time. The cache shown below is from the next batch of twelve alone.


If this step isn't taken, given the right conditions the seeds will germinate, and you'll have odd tendrils appearing through the foliage! Unless you're gaming some kind of Weird War or Cthulhu scenario, it's probably not something that's desired.

Once the adhesive is dry, I paint the trunks a neutral shade of beige and attach them to circular card bases using hot glue. A spray over with cheap green paint helps stick the flock to the trees, although they still tend to shed if handled roughly. The bases are then painted. I gave mine a simple coat of green craft acrylic with a few brown splotches for soil. I'm not going for great detail here as I find it isn't required - a case of seeing the wood but not the trees once they're deployed on the tabletop. The whole process takes a couple of days for things to dry/set, etc, but the result isn't bad at all.


Those fine chaps at Pendraken Miniatures have emailed to let me know my ECW figures order is on the way. It's a courtesy I appreciate, because it means I can arrange for the order to be safely gathered in ready for me to get my sticky fingers on. I must do something about that bloomin' spray adhesive...

3 comments:

Michael Awdry said...

Well worth the effort, the look rather splendid. Not sure about the sticky fingers, but I did buy a box of surgical gloves for when I use the airbrush. I could spray my miniatures whilst holding them, then tear off the gloves and throw them in the bin, might work for spray adhesive?

A J said...

Thanks, Michael. Yes, surgical gloves would work, but I have a reaction to the latex. The paint/glue covered fingers are a nuisance which is fixed with a bit of Vaseline, soap and water.

Elderac said...

Check your local pharmacy or auto supply store for disposable nitrile gloves - no latex involved.

 

home page uniques