Friday, December 26, 2014

Hobart's 79th Armoured Division at War


Last Christmas my lovely wife gave me a Kindle for a present, which I like very much. I have a number of military books on it, and the latest addition to my collection is Richard Doherty's Hobart's 79th Armoured Division at War: Invention, Innovations & Inspiration, published by Pen and Sword (May 19, 2014).


I came across it whilst browsing Amazon on my Kindle on Christmas Eve. The book's currently available at $1.99 and is well worth getting. Percy Hobart was a gifted if somewhat abrasive person, but no one else could have raised and trained the "Funnies" to such a pitch of excellence. The 79th trained for D-Day all over the UK, and I know a couple of the sites they used quite well. I've just finished the chapters relating to the division's experiences in Normandy, and the sheer heroism of those men is breathtaking. Many of the actions described would make ideal scenarios for Chain of Command. I'm currently reading about the 79th's exploits at Cap Gris Nez during the "Great Swan" across France.

Of course, the book has got me thinking in terms of gaming 1944 NW Europe...

2 comments:

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Nice addition

I have been told so many times that "The Kindle" is the way forward
And I know they (especially the wife) is right

But somehow I hanker for the paper version and am drawn to second hand book shops

Maybe a New Years resolution!

A J said...

I understand completely. I also prefer actual books, but I use my Kindle mainly when travelling since it's much easier than toting books around.

 

home page uniques