On to another project - a watchtower. These were used by British and Imperial forces throughout the Colonial period, were often constructed of wood, and frequently attached to or mounted upon blockhouses. Mine will be free-standing.
The picture above shows me halfway through the tiling process. For no particular reason I decided on a shingle-effect roofing rather than corrugated iron or thatch. Each tile is cut from thin card and applied to the glued surface. The cap is made of air-dried clay.
The photo below shows construction so far. The uprights are kebob skewers, and the cross-struts are square-cut sandwich sticks. I used basswood for the sides, and short sections of craft sticks for the platform, since these give a sturdy surface for up to four figures to stand. Next up will be the diagonal struts and a ladder, a gate to give access to the platform, followed by painting and the application of scenic effect to the base.
Pvt. Jack Lewis draws a bead on something off camera...
This particular tower will feature as the centerpiece in my next game. I have another couple of ideas to work out, but I should be ready to play it out within the month.
* * *
A further thought on the casualty figures I made. When I make another batch of masters I think I'll set them on bases with a little scenic effect around them. That way when I make the mold, the bases will be part of the figure, which should make them stronger and easier to handle.