Thursday, July 7, 2011

Casualties of war mold


Not so long ago I mentioned an idea I had of making casualty figures out of something far cheaper than white metal. After all, we pay a lot for the fighting figures in our collections - why pay as much for those merely acting as markers? I finally decided to move on the project, and created some master casualty figures using Sculpey and Miliput from which to take a mold. The medium I intend to use to make the actual figures is Hydrostone engineering plaster. It's strong, cheap, quick, and a lot less dangerous than white metal to cast.  

I'm the first to admit I'm not the world's greatest figure sculptor, but I managed to create a reasonable result. Shown above are two British Colonial infantry and two native casualties. The foamcore box will act as the form for pouring silicon rubber into in order to make a mold. Once the foamcore is secure, I'll coat everything inside with Future polish to seal it, then pour the silicon. This'll take about 24 hours to set fully - then I can begin casting.

No comments:

 

home page uniques
Fishing Rods