Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Card shoe


A card shoe is a game accessory I've meant to make for some time. Too Fat Lardies rules sets mostly use event and order cards for game play. When placed in the slick plastic card sleeves these tend to slip and slide all over the place if brushed accidentally during a game. That's why I got to work with my Hirst Arts molds and made a card shoe to keep them neatly stacked and ready for use.

Pulp Alley also uses a card activation method. PA games run for a maximum of seven turns (it's normally six, but the game is extended by one turn if an extra turn card comes up). I fixed a row of holed blocks along the centre row with a bead for a peg to keep track of the turns during a game. There are nine holes in all should another set of rules require the players keep track of more turns.

The photo below shows the shoe in use with turn cards (left) and special event cars for my home brew Colonial variant of Sharpe Practice.


4 comments:

Prufrock said...

Nice idea and well executed. I have the same problem with Commands & Colors cards.

Fitz-Badger said...

I agree; nice work and a very useful item. Seems like I see lots or dice towers and organizers, but not many card shoes.

Michael Awdry said...

Nicely done A.J.

A J said...

Thanks, gentlemen! The shoe does work nicely in keeping cards tidy on or just off the tabletop. I have thought of making a dice tower for some time, so it may well be my next project. The Hirst Arts site has a number of designs.

 

home page uniques