Saturday, November 26, 2016

A Dark Ages house - 5 and Done


Thanksgiving's over for another year. I hope those who celebrate it had a nice one.

I pressed on and finished the Dark Ages British house today. The thatching took a while to dry, but in the end I got the final layer on. The photo shows it before I applied a wash of sepia ink to tone down the brightness of the thatch and walls.


In the end I didn't bother with the chimney. I'll put a couple of 'wind eyes' at either end under the gable.

The door is now in place, and the ink wash applied. I brushed this about halfway up the walls to represent splashes of mud, rising damp and general wear and tear.



Some of the underlying material was affected by the dampness of the thatch mix and warped a bit, but it all adds character to the place. It is supposed to be a dwelling in the Dark Ages before planning regulations and such came about!

My next project will be to made another couple of similar buildings - enough to represent a farm or village - then I'll make a church and watchtower.


4 comments:

Michael Mills said...

Looks great AJ! I found that once I had built one of these the rest were a lot quicker and more straightforward. Looking forward to seeing more.

Michael Awdry said...

Wonderful job A.J. a great success.

Peter Ball said...

Jolly good work!

A J said...

Thank you, gentlemen!

 

home page uniques
Fishing Rods