I see it's been a while since I last posted here. Work, weather, gardening and politics tend to interfere with the best-laid plans. Eventually one fine afternoon comes along when I can turn my attention to a project I've had in mind for a while - hills. Specifically hills for Darkest Africa gaming.
A few weeks ago I came across three nice pieces of pink foam at our local Habitat for Humanity store. They're a useful size to make a number of hills out of, and I marked them out with a Sharpie to get an idea of how large the hills could be and which shape would suit.
A few minutes' work with a carving knife bought from a local charity shop later...
For the sake of domestic harmony it's best to do this outside where the mess won't matter. Needless to say I didn't inform my wife I was going to cut these. She hasn't trusted me with sharp and/or pointed objects since I cut a chunk out of my thumb a few weeks ago. Mind you, that happened while washing-up. Men, take note - Washing-up is dangerous! Don't do it! ;)
I had a number of off-cuts from this part of the process which will be put to use in the next stage. I'll glue them to the blank faces of the hill sides to give a more irregular appearance. A combination of hot glue to hold them in place and Aileen's tacky glue for strength will see these stuck firm enough to work with while the Aileen's is drying.
What I am aiming at is something not a million miles away from the wonderful result displayed by Rob Hawkins on his blog.