Monday, July 29, 2019

Sights of Old Salem


Nah, I don't think I'm going to do another 777 miles/13 hour drive again. When I move my head my neck cracks like a bunch of celery being twisted and my bottom feels like tenderised steak. The standard of driving in Salem leaves a lot to be desired too. A friend of ours at the convention was out sightseeing when she witnessed a road rage incident that left three cars totalled in the middle of town. Still, the conference was a success, and I managed to find a bit of time seeing the sights of Salem, MA with my wife.

Salem's road system is a nightmare to negotiate, especially since it's rife with one-way roads, and street name signs are lacking in vital places. We got lost, which took up time so we weren't able to visit the maritime museum or board the replica Indiaman Friendship of Salem. I was able to take a few snaps of her alongside the wharf, and my wife took one of a huge model of her in the visitors centre in town. 
This wharf once thronged with tall ships loading and unloading cargo. Now Friendship sits looking rather forlorn in a deserted dock.
Friendship was restored recently by a shipwright of the town, but her masts have yet to be stepped. They're lying in a cordoned off area by the wharf. It's interesting to see details of their construction, when normally they'd be far above head level.



The superb model of the Friendship and adjacent historic wharf buildings in the visitors centre.
The original vessel was built in 1797 and made fifteen voyages around the world before being captured by HMS Rosamund during the War of 1812.

Now I'm home, I hope to play the Battle of Abu Hamad soon.




1 comment:

Michael Awdry said...

Glad to hear that you are home safe A.J.

 

home page uniques