Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Battleship Row & Saxon Shinies


Construction of the Majestic-class battleships is finished, and I got a primer coat on them using Rustoleum grey. The weather has turned cooler and damper, so although I sprayed the models a couple of days ago the paint is still wet in parts. All very annoying. Still, they look okay.


They took a bit of cleaning up beforehand. Although the silicone works as a molding material, it starts to degrade after about the fifth casting, so I'm going to limit all future casts to that number of ships or fewer.

Much rejoicing followed when the early Saxons marched in this afternoon. I ordered the starter army plus a pack of Romano-British archers from Splintered Light Miniatures. They were mailed yesterday afternoon and arrived within 24 hours. Excellent work by the USPS!


I ordered a batch of archers, as reinforcements can reach the warlords or be hired by them over the course of a Dux B campaign, and archers/skirmishers are first on the table of extras in the rules.

So, I'm going to be busy for the next week or so painting Dux B figures as well as working up opposing forces for the pre-Dreadnought games. It's one of those times when projects seem to take ages to come together then everything happens at once. Them's the breaks...

2 comments:

Captain Darling said...

Good work on the ships! Highlights will bring them life.
So I guess silicone is not the reccomended way to go for mould making haha...

A J said...

Thanks! I want to give them a top coat of lighter grey but the paint is STILL wet in parts.

Silicone caulking works fine fort short-run molding, but for anything like serious production proper silicone molding compound such as OOMOO 30 is the way to go.

 

home page uniques
Fishing Rods