Friday, September 15, 2017

A Good Haul of Books.


My wife and I took a day off from what seems like perpetual house-hunting to run some errands, one of which was a stop off at our excellent local library. I'd forgotten this month marks their annual surplus books sale, so we couldn't resist taking a look at what's on offer and... I found these. The Time-Life books Epic of Flight: The Giant Airships, full of information and nice illustrations about that noblest of aircraft; two issues of Model Railroader from 2009 and 2013, with useful info on how to model buildings; and the star of this little show - Yep, Donald Featherstone's Wargaming Airborne Operations, published in the UK way back in 1977, although this is the American edition dated 1979.


I was looking along a row of books stacked under one of the tables when I spotted the edge of the model paratrooper illustration peeping out. Call it long-ingrained pattern recognition, but I knew at once I was onto something hobby-related. I drew it out and - voila! This is one of those Featherstone books I'd always heard of but had never seen, and now I own it! (Cue manic cackle...)

Eben Emael under assault.
It's in excellent condition. Aside from rules governing airborne operations on the tabletop, it contains a potted history of airborne forces, both paratroops and glider-borne, notes on tactics, resupply logistics, and accounts of the great airborne operations of WW2, Crete and Market Garden.

There are plenty of photos of games in progress, along with maps and diagrams. Some of the figures and models depicted look rather dated now in this Golden Age of ours, but this book has a heck of a lot of use for the gamer interested in the topic. I've got a few of The Don's books, and this is a worthy addition to the set.

4 comments:

Carlo said...

What a great pick up AJ. I searched high and low for that copy of Featherstones Wargames book along with his Solo Wargaming and still remember the day when I scored both. Great reads.

A J said...

Yes, it's a nice find, and brightened an otherwise stressful week.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Good things come to those who wait! Congrats!

Talk Wargaming said...


Hey There !
My name in Joshua Stawiarski Co - Editor Of TalkWargaming.com

Sorry if this sounds like spam, I just wanted to drop a message here say thanks for all of your years in supporting the community and hope it can also continue far into the future.

Right now we are fighting the battle of looking for other content creators for our website but our reach doesn’t go as far we’d like.  We are wondering if you want to help us transform TWG with great pieces of work. We will provide as much value as we can to you, if you decide to take part, and to build a long-term working relationship.

Here Is A Link To Explain In More Detail:
http://www.talkwargaming.com/2017/10/content-creators-wanted.html

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Sincerely,
Co - Editor Of talkwargaming.com

Contact Me Here:
editortalkwargaming@gmail.com

Sorry If You May Get This Message Twice.

 

home page uniques