Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Back to the drawing board - Movement trays, take 2.


Yeah, well, that didn't work...

My first attempt at making movement trays for my Dux Britanniarum figures didn't set my modelling world alight. The things warped and split all over the shop, so - back to the drawing board.

I decided to make a master of the tray using Sculpey then take a mold from it so I can then cast as many as I need out of resin. Now the weather's warming up it's possible for me to use OOMOO 30 RTV silicone molding material to make molds again.

First up, I made a flattened lump of Sculpey about 1/8th on an inch thick. A eighth of an inch is about as thin as it's practical to get for working with resin. I scalloped and smoothed-down the edges of the Sculpey to make it look irregular, then marked out where the recesses for the figures will go using a 1 cent coin. The six-figure base is standard for Dux B. I made the circles slightly irregular to reflect the relaxed formation-keeping discipline found even in elite troops of this period.

The Romano-British militia wait impatiently for their bases to be ready.
Once that was done I cut out discs of Sculpey to make the recesses. The stuff is spread on card, which won't be affected by the heat when it goes in the oven.

A militiaman tries the base for size.

Once it's baked I'll be able to make a mold from it. They'll get card bases and be finished off with flock and such to make them a bit different from each other. I'll need three such bases for the Romano-British Militia, two for the Warriors, and one for the Elite. When I get the Saxons, I'll make the necessary bases for them too.

4 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Great ideas ,I look forward to seeing it progress.
Alan

Michael Awdry said...

Best of luck with Mk. II.

Captain Darling said...

Hey AJ very nice! Look forward to seeing it complete.
I got 2 sheets of styrene one 2mm thick and one 0.5mm thick cut one piece from each to the size of the multi figure base I wanted, cut the circular holes in the 2mm stuff then glued the two pieces together the 0.5mm one beng the bottom it worked great...

A J said...

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen! So far it seems to be shaping up. Captain Darling, the styrene idea sounds good.

 

home page uniques
Fishing Rods