Monday, February 22, 2016

Ouch!


A badly-gashed thumb means I'm kind of restricted at the moment in what I can do gaming and modeling-wise. I did manage to make a range of turn cards for the ECW Victory Without Quarter rules without injury.


Hopefully I'll get a game in this weekend to try out the rules. Fingers - but not thumbs - crossed...

Thursday, February 18, 2016

ECW armies


The assembled might of the Royalist and Parliamentary forces gather in a corner of England's green and pleasant land. My ECW armies so far. Royalists to the left, Parliamentarians to the right.


I've got a stack of work on at the moment, but I hope to at least try the Victory Without Quarter rules some time soon.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Village pond


This piece of scenery proved easier to make than I thought. It's a piece of clear packaging plastic cut into a rough square. I glass-papered half an inch in from the edge to make a rough surface then spread Aileen's tacky glue over it followed by a good sprinkling of sand. This was followed up with a 3:2 mix of ordinary green and brown craft paints and spackle to get a thick mixture.

Sand added to the glue.
Paint and spackle.
I smeared a bit of this mix on the surface of the pond-to-be to represent weeds and algae bloom. The next step was a coat of Pledge polish with two drops yellow, one drop blue acrylic inks mixed in. It picked up some of the green paint from the first step and made the surface rather matte in appearance. A second and final coat of Pledge alone fixed this and turned the surface glossy. One more coat of craft paint to cover places where the polish had seeped out from the center and the piece is done. It took a couple of days, drying period included. It's fairly flexible and shouldn't chip or anything.

The final result looks pretty good, and it works for most scales.

ImagiNations: A contingent of Hetzenberg Horse ride by after watering their mounts.

ECW: Royalist cavalry out in search of rebellious Parliamentarians to thrash.

AVBCW: Womens' Socialist Militia accompany a T26 in search of bullying BUF men to thrash.

Colonial: "Er, mebbe this wasn't such a good place to camp, Corp?"

Monday, February 8, 2016

17th century street


Sunday was a productive day. I finished the trio of 17th century buildings for ECW gaming, and they'll work just fine for VBCW. 

Parliamentarian pikes form up in the street.

The old stone church has probably seen plenty of military shenanigans in its time.
I made two timbered houses and an inn, which work nicely alongside the medieval church and alms houses.The inn walls look nice and bright, which would be appropriate for a new building of the age. I settled for a neutral slate roof for all three, using a mix of silver and tan craft paints to get that slight sheen of slate (try saying that three times quickly!). The silver paint is quite thick, almost like a gesso, and I stroked the brush horizontally to get the effect of rows of tiles. It doesn't quite show up in the photos, but looks okay in real life.

My next projects will be a churchyard and that staple of British villages, the pond.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

ECW artillery and generals


The last ECW figures are safely based up, which is a relief after the warping shenanigans of yesterday. Here are two light guns with teams and limbers, with four generals to the left of the photo. I chose a generic orange-red shade for the gun carriages, as this seems to have been a popular color going by contemporary accounts. There's so little concrete information about this and other aspects of the ECW, it's as good a guess as any. One of the limbers lacks a driver, as he wasn't included in the order. Pendraken are good at rectifying such things so it'll be sorted in the fullness of time. I'll fix the limbers to the horse teams next, using the thin string shown bottom-right for the traces.


Behind them is a work in progress house, the first in a batch of 17th century buildings I plan to make. I used two layers of 1/2 inch foamcore, one wider at the top to get the jettied effect of the period, and clad them in thin card. The paintwork was done with basic craft acrylics, and the timberwork was done with a Sharpie marker pen. It's so much easier and less fiddly than using a brush. I've yet to add brickwork chimneys, doors, and crosshatch leading on the windows. First, I'll go make a cup of tea...

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Basing Blues


The last ECW figures came off the painting block and I'm now in the process of basing them up. I reverted to plastic card after experimenting with some thin wood which promptly warped all over the place, requiring a hasty removal of the figures.

Ho hum.

I'm going to try out Clarence 'Quindia Studios' Harrison's Victory Without Quarter rules for ECW. These require generals based up with a few other riders to represent staff, couriers and such. At the moment I only have the generals on horseback, so I'll put them on temporary bases until I can find some suitable figures.

Photos to follow tomorrow...

 

home page uniques
Fishing Rods